The CornBelters are nearly one-third of the way through the regular season. With a record of 18-11, the team is currently 3rd in the Frontier League’s West Division standings. CornBelters players have put their names on several leader boards in the Frontier League so far this season: Center fielder Alvaro Ramirez ranks 5th in batting average (.351); First baseman Steve Alexander is 2nd in home runs (8); Right-handed pitcher Ryan Sheldon ranks 1st in games won (4); Right-handed pitcher Bobby Pritchett ranks 3rd in strikeouts (38). Third baseman Daniel Cox is also on a 20-game hitting streak, which is half way to the League’s record of 40.
During the first 15 home games this season, fans have enjoyed daily themes, specific themed nights, and giveaways too. Here are just a few of the highlights so far this season:
- Autograph Sundays with post-game autograph sessions with players, coaches , and Corny, presented by MAGIC 100.7
- IL Corn Growers Night, on Mondays, where all IL Corn Farmers receive 50% off tickets when they show their association card, corn dogs are just $1 and one concessions item made of corn is featured
- Early Bird Mondays for half price concessions and half off one item in the Team Store from 6:00-6:30pm
- Rosati’s of Normal Reading ‘Round the Bases Tuesdays where kids are recognized for meeting reading goals at school or their local library; post-game kids can run the bases
- Dog Days Wednesdays where fans can bring their four-legged friends to the ballpark
- Thirsty Thursdays with $1 beers and bags tournaments
- CEFCU Fireworks Fridays where fans can enjoy a spectacular fireworks show from on-field
- State Farm Starstruck Saturdays with special appearances and autograph sessions by celebrities. Lee Smith, Ron Kittle, and Otis Wilson stopped by to throw 1st pitches and meet fans.
- May 29 – State Farm Logo Baseball Giveaway #1
- June 5 – The Community Cancer Center’s Cancer Survivors Night in which cancer survivors were invited onto the field for an in-game recognition ceremony.
- June 7 – Frontier Corny Bobble-Head Giveaway
- June 9 – Budweiser Pint Glass
- June 17 – Father’s Day Weekend Workshop Built by Home Depot where kids and their dads could work together to build a model sailboat
Upcoming promotions include: State Farm Starstruck Saturday Presents Jesse White Tumblers (June 25), Christmas in June & State Farm Logo Baseball Giveaway #2 (June 26), Armed Forces Tribute Night (July 5), Bud Light Pint Glass Giveaway (July 7), State Farm Logo Baseball Giveaway #3 (July 10), “Ag Week” Presented by Illinois Corn Farmers and their check-off (July 18-23), Livestrong Night (July 22), State Farm Starstruck Saturday Presents Dave Kingman (July 23), State Farm Starstruck Saturday Presents Dawn Wells, CornBelters Baseball Card Set Giveaway Provided by Disabled American Veterans (July 31).
Although CornBelters games are the main attraction for fans at the Corn Crib, it is truly a multi-purpose facility that is set to host a Concert by three-time Grammy Award winners, Jars of Clay. Jars of Clay will headline a Concert for the CornBelters Christian Family Day on Saturday, July 9, 2011. Additional performers include Danny Oertli, Rachel West Kramer, Aleska Barkoviak, and Four Jesus. Fans will enjoy the Concert beginning at 3pm, followed by the CornBelters game at 7pm. A VIP Experience is available and includes a ticket with an all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink menu for an hour after the concert as well as the opportunity to meet the Jars of Clay!