The first day of the 112th Congress began at 9 a.m. with a prayer service in the House, the election of a new Speaker, John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), and the official swearing in of the new members at 2:30 p.m. The Senate was called to order at noon and sweared in their new members around 1 p.m.
The American people turned the U.S. Congress upside down in November 2010 and now we are officially on our way to see what changes have truly been made.
In Illinois, we look forward to working with five new members of Congress and one new member in the Senate. Again, our congratulations to Cong. Joe Walsh (R-IL-8), Cong. Bob Dold (R-IL-10), Cong. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL-11), Cong. Randy Hultgren (R-IL-14), Cong. Bobby Schilling (R-IL-17) and Sen Mark Kirk (R-IL). We can’t wait to work with every single one of you!
Illinois Corn is also celebrating the committee appointments of these five new members of the U.S. House of Representatives and the leadership positions garnered by some of our more senior members of Congress.
- Joe Walsh, House Small Business Committee
- Bob Dold, House Financial Services Committee
- Adam Kinzinger, House Energy and Commerce Committee
- Randy Hultgren, House Agriculture Committee and House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
- Bobby Schilling, House Agriculture Committee
- Aaron Schock, House Ways and Means
- John Shimkus, SubCommittee Chair of Environment and Economy, House Transportatino and Infrastructure Committee
- Tim Johnson, SubCommittee Chair of Rural Development, Research, Biotechnology, and Foreign Agriculture, House Agriculture Committee
Next week, we’ll review any changes or additions to other Illinois House and Senate members, but this was what I had available to date. Feel free to send a quick message to your member of Congress congratulating them on their appointments!
ICGA/ICMB Marketing Director